10 August 2011

10 Day You Challenge - 4 Books


 The Mists of Avalon has long been one of my favorite books.  I read it for the first time when I was in middle school and I loved the female-centric view of Arthurian legend.  I try to re-read it every couple of years or so.


 As I've said in some of my previous reviews, I absolutely love Kelley Armstrong.  I devour everything of hers that I can.  Dime Store Magic was my introduction to her Women of the Otherworld series and her writing in general.  It's such a great paranormal series that never gets dull.


 I was introduced to A Prayer for Owen Meany when I was in college.  It was required reading for my contemporary literature class.  It was a book that grabbed me and held on through it's sometimes strange ride.  I always admired Owen's conviction that he was meant for something great.  I wish I had that kind of conviction myself.


 Sandman is, in my opinion, the greatest comic series ever.  The characters are diverse and engaging, the artwork is beautiful, the writing is superb and the stories cover so many things that there should be a little something for anyone.  But of all the Sandman graphic novels, Brief Lives is my favorite.  The youngest of the Endless, Delirium, is the catalyst for the story, desperately wanting to find her brother, Destruction.  The journey shows us more about Delerium, introduces us to Destruction and ends up being the final nail in Dream's coffin, which brings brings about his downfall.  I wouldn't start with this book in the series, but I would definitely try to make it this far.