08 September 2011

Blog Posts That Have Caught My Attention

I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis.  Or rather, I TRY to read a lot of blogs/websites on a daily basis.  Things don't always happen the way I intend.  But one of the things I am going to try to do regularly is point you toward some of the blog entries that have caught my attention each day.  Since I usually read the blogs in the morning, some could be from the previous day.  But good doesn't usually have a time limit, does it?

West Metro Mommy wants to know how you feel about bloggers making negative comments about businesses on their blog.  Pop over and give her your dime (inflation's brought it up from 2 cents, you know.)

I love to read Lifehacker, because I always find interesting things to grab my attention.  This article on using a 5-calendar system might be just right for my need to try to become more organized.  Heck, I'm willing to try anything!

They also mention using an old piece of heavy cardboard, such as one from a large appliance box, for your chair mat.  It's definitely a cheaper alternative to buying a floor mat specifically made for rolling chairs.

The third one from Lifehacker today involves a tool that I may look into - Pistash.io.  It is a bookmarking tool that allows you to sort your bookmarks into categories and set reminders so you don't forget that you wanted to go back to them. A lot of times, I'll find something on a blog or elsewhere that I want to return to later.  I'll bookmark it and then... well, life will happen.  Six months later, I'm looking through my bookmarks and find that the page I'd marked involved something that ended three months ago.  This, or so I hope, should keep me from missing stuff that I want to check out again later.

Gizmodo has an article about Pandora's new Workout Channels. They've got good things to say about the music that plays on these stations.  Me, I think it's a great, free way to get me working out like I need to.

They've got an awesome picture of the moon from it's north pole. If you're a space-geek like me, you definitely want to check it out.  Whenever I get tired of Green Arrow, I may have a new background for my computer.

The geek in me is enjoying reading io9's article about the superhero boom post 9/11. Being the big superhero fan that I am, I found it an interesting read.  I honestly hadn't thought about superheroes becoming more popular post-911.  They've always been a part of my life.  But I can see both sides of the argument - the need for feeling more powerful after a powerless time and the the fact that technology has finally arrived to make the superheroes be able to do their cool things and have it not look cheesy.  I do like the fact, however, that supers are a way to help our nation heal.

Every weekday, The Mom Pledge blog features a different community member.  If you haven't checked them out before, you should now.  There's a bunch of great blogs in this fantastic community.  Today, the blog features Mungee and Me. I haven't checked out this blog yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so. A quick glance shows one really cute kid and a mom with a great sense of humor!

Over at Adventures with Three Girls, Jessica Anne has a great post about Bras 101.  She lists fun facts along with ways to make sure you have the right bra fit, as well as ways to make your bras last longer.  As one who always has a hard time with bras (HATE underwires with a passion, yet have pretty large breasts), I'm going to keep a lot of these in mind.

Life on the Mama Track struck a cord with me.  After a frustrating couple of days with her little one, she got a first hand reminder of why she's glad to be right where she is. I had a similar moment yesterday.  Pete had been throwing a fit because he did NOT want to sit in his car seat to go to the store before PDO.  He wanted to sit in the front seat and tried to throw himself out of the straps to get to where he wanted to be.  High pitched screams drove me insane.  He'd calmed down a little after we got to the store, but I was still incredibly grateful for PDO.  We got to the church about 30 minutes early, so I let him out of his car seat so he could grab the things that fell to the floor.  All of a sudden, I felt two little arms wrap around my shoulders and his sweet voice saying, "You my bes' fend, Mommy."  It makes it worth it.

For my crocheting friends, my friend Tracie, of Fibers by Tracie, has posted a bunch of pictures and links for some of her designs.  Check it out.  Because she's got some really cute things over there!

Finally, Free iTunes has mentioned a free video for download entitled 9/11: The Day that Changed the World.  I'm downloading it.  Maybe I'm masochistic, but for me, it's necessary. I figured I wasn't the only one.