19 September 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Today, I'm jumping on the bandwagon of a new (to me) weekly meme.  Wednesday Hodgepodge, from From This Side of the Pond (which I found thanks to Wayne W. Smith at Touristic).  I'm hoping that I'll make it a regular part of my rotation.


1. What's the best and worst thing about growing older?

Hmmm... The best thing is having years of wisdom to call upon.  Most (though thankfully not all) situations that I've run into (or that my kids run into) have been something I've even somewhat run into before.  So even if I don't know exactly what to do, I have something to base it upon.

The worst would have to be my body failing.  I can't bounce back in ways that it used to.

2. Autumn arrives in the Northern Hemisphere this week...what one thing do you love most about the fall season?

I love the weather getting colder, the leaves starting to change and the crispness in the air.  Fall is my favorite season.

3. Speaking of fall...pumpkin seems to be flavoring everything these days-are you a fan? What's your favorite pumpkin flavored food or beverage?

This is tough.  I absolutely LOVE pumpkin everything.  Pumpkin pie has always been my favorite, but my husband has started making pumpkin pancakes that are absolutely yummy.

4. Since we're on the subject of fall...what's the worst fall you've ever taken?

Another hard one.  I have a tendency to block those kind of things from my mind.  Probably when I fell down the hill in front of my apartment when I was pregnant with Teddy.  I was trying to pack up the van with boxes to bring to the compactor and I slipped and fell.  It wasn't that it was a bad fall, per se, but since I was pregnant with my first child, I was worried that I'd done something to hurt him.  No worries, though!

5. If you could own a prop from any film what would you choose?

Another difficult choice.  There are so many movies that I love.  TV show would be easy - the Doctor's sonic screwdriver from Doctor Who. But for movie... probably the tarot deck from The Red Violin.  The music was important to the movie, but the tarot deck just speaks to me more.

6. What's the most interesting word you've read or heard in the past week?

"Harsh".  Not because of the word itself, but because of how it was used.  Pete took the dry erase marker from the new chore charts and colored all over the walls and himself.  Considering how many times he's gotten in trouble for it lately, you'd think he'd learn by now (or that I'd learn not to keep things like that in his reach).  But I yelled and screamed (a lot) because I was so frustrated.  After about a minute, Teddy came up to me and, very concerned, asked, "Mommy, don't you think that was a little harsh?"  It kind of stopped me in my tracks because he had to tell me something I should have known.  I learned something from him that day.

7. When was the last time you locked yourself out of your house, car, or office? Was it a big deal?

The week before we were leaving for vacation, I'd dropped Rich off at work.  When I came home, my hands were full and Teddy asked if he could close my door.  I said yes, not thinking about the fact that my keys were on the seat.  Both house and car keys.  The office wasn't open yet (it was only 8 am) and I didn't have a spare key hidden anywhere.  I eventually had to jump my back deck (which is about 5 feet off the ground and fully enclosed) to get into the (thankfully) unlocked back sliding doors and open the door for the kids.  Not my best hour.  But I got in, called AAA and my kids and I were safe.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Time to get the kids off to school.  So much to do before Friday.  But I'm better off than I've been in a long time.