07 October 2012

Catching Up on Memes - Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. It's a brand new month...share one thing you're looking forward to in October.

The cooler weather.  September had far too many hot days for my liking.  October has started out chilly and I'm loving it.  Let me pull out my sweaters, turn on the heat, drag out my hoodies.  Like me make hot chocolate and loads of coffee to warm me up.  I want the chill!

2. Is chivalry dead? Explain.

I don't think so.  Though, as Wayne said on his blog, I think it has changed.  It isn't quite the code of knights that it used to be, and it's not something just for men.  But the qualities of courtesy, generosity and valor still show up in every day life, from someone - whether it be the man in front of me, my four year old or the woman entering first - holding the door open for me to someone stopping to hand a burger to the man holding a sign asking for food outside of McDonalds to someone selflessly giving themselves to save someone else.  It may not be something that people strive for or that is lauded the way you read about in medieval stories, but it is something that you see in little ways every day from the people around you.

3. On October 2, 1950 the Peanuts comic strip made its debut. Which character is your favorite? Which character is most like you? (Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Shroeder, Snoopy, Woodstock, or Pig Pen) If you need a description click here .

I always liked Linus.  He had a wonderful combination of child (his need for his blanket) and philosopher.  Of all the Peanuts cast, I wanted to know him more than any other.  As for which is most like me... I'd say I'm an amalgamation of several.  I have a bit of Charlie Brown's luck, a bit of Lucy's know-it-all tendencies, a bit of Linus' need to hold on to childhood, a bit of Peppermint Patty's tom-boyishness, a bit of Marcie's sidekickiness, and a bit of Pig Pen's slovenliness.

4. What's something you're competitive about?

Primarily, games.  I hate that I am that way, and I've come a long way from the snits I'd get into when I'd lose, but I often find myself replaying games on Facebook until I see my own name in the top spot.  Because I need to be number one.

5. October is National Popcorn Popping Month...are you a fan? How do you like your popcorn?

I go in cycles with popcorn.  I do love the taste of it, particularly when it's flavored in some way (and my favorite is with white cheddar, though I'm interested in different flavors like pumpkin pie spice as well).  But sometimes the kernels get stuck in my teeth and that will turn me off of popcorn for awhile.

6. When did you first realize the world is small?

I'm not sure if I know when I first realized it.  There've always been little instances of "Hey, I know where that is!" when talking to someone about the small town of my youth, or meeting someone that frequented a place I had also frequented.  But I can tell you the latest instance of realizing the world was small:

First, a bit of background.  I went to college at Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida from 1992 to 1994.  I wasn't one of the more popular people there, but I did have my own group of friends and loved my time there.  Now, 20 years later, I'm living in Nashville, TN. 20 years and almost 700 miles away, I wouldn't expect to run into anyone that I knew from there - at least, not anyone that I'd already known were local thanks to Facebook.

But a couple weeks ago, I was walking into Wal-Mart with Teddy, looking for a birthday gift from Teddy for Pete when I was stopped by a woman about my own age.  "Excuse me, but you look very familiar to me.  Did we go to college together?"  I couldn't imagine that it was possible, seeing as I'd gone to college in Florida 20 years previously and I told her so.  But, much to my surprise, she and I had gone to college together.  She wasn't someone that I'd been good friends with, but she was someone that I knew of and that hung out in some of the same places that I had.  We exchanged e-mail addresses and, while I haven't been in touch with her yet, I am planning on dropping her an e-mail soon.  Small world, indeed.

7. In terms of architecture, what's the most beautiful building you've seen up close and in person?


Annie Pfieffer Chapel, envisioned by Andrew Lloyd Wright, was a place that I not only got to see up close and in person but had a chance to sing in on occasion.  Many of the buildings at Florida Southern were created by Andrew Lloyd Wright, and Southern has the distinction of being the largest collection of his architecture.  There are a lot of beautiful buildings there, but of them, I love Annie Pfieffer the best.  The stained glass inside, the sweeping stairs outside, the acoustics... its just a wonderful place to meditate, to sing in and to enjoy.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

This week, I had a family member comment on a Facebook post that I inspired her by posting the things that I'm getting done in my life. On a day when I was feeling particularly useless (since things have gone down hill with me being sick this week), it was a much needed boost to show me that I'm going in the right direction.