18 February 2011

Starting to get back into the swing of things

I haven't quite caught back up on things (obviously) but that should change in the near future.  We bought our desktop, though we haven't received it yet.  It should be sent next week, if Dell is to be believed.  But we also picked up a netbook, which is letting me be online a lot more regularly.  I'm back in heaven again!  The best thing about the netbook is that I can bring it to Starbucks and have some peace and quiet for working on book review updates and other things.

I haven't been reading as much lately because of things being so busy.  Teddy turned 5 last Sunday, which still blows my mind.  I still remember the day that he was born and it can't really be 5 years ago.  We had a party for him at Chuck E Cheese, so there was a lot of getting things ready for that.  My in-laws came down for the weekend so there was a lot to get done for their visit as well.  All of it has meant that a lot of other things have gone by the wayside for a bit.  But I am working toward getting back on track.

One of the things that I'm proudest of that's been happening lately is that I've gotten pretty firmly back on the weight loss trail.  When I'm out, I always get water to drink rather than a soft drink.  I'm choosing healthier options to eat.  I've got lots of fruit in the house (grapes, blueberries, kiwi) and those have been my snacks lately.  When I'm out, I'm choosing things like grilled chicken over burgers.  I've been parking farther away for the extra walk and doing my Pilates for 30 minutes.  And mentally, I'm feeling better about all of it.  I'm hoping to see some big changes on the scales from all this.  I've already had people tell me I look like I've lost weight, and that makes me feel good regardless of what the scales say.  And I'm being a bit more active over on SparkPeople as well, which is helping me mentally.  The Comic Geeks group, in particular, is fantastic.

Speaking of comics, I actually set foot inside a comic store for the first time in almost a decade (I think the last time I was in one was in 2002 with the first Free Comics Day).  I brought the boys with me, which meant I couldn't browse quite as much as I wanted to, but I did manage to pick up Green Arrow: Brightest Day 1,2,4 &5.  He didn't have any copies of issue 3, so I need to check online to see where I might be able to pick it up.  I'm thinking of getting a box there, but I need a few more titles before he'll pull some aside for me.  Along with GA, I think I'm going to go with Tiny Titans for Teddy.  I'm not sure what else beyond that, since I haven't read anything outside of Graphic Novels in quite some time.  I'll figure it out though.

Speaking of Graphic Novels, I had a cute misspeak moment with Teddy at the library on Monday.  They separate out their Graphic Novels into two categories - juvenile and adult.  Teddy's been picking out a few from the juvenile section lately - primarily Tiny Titans, but some other titles like Batman, The Incredibles and Toy Story.  Anyway, the other day he asked me if I could take him to the Super Models.

"Um... baby, I don't think they have Super Models in the library."
"You know, Mommy, the ones like the Tiny Titans and Batman."

Only a five year old could confuse a Super Model with a Graphic Novel.

I've talked about Teddy.  Now I should talk about Pete a bit.  He's really starting to come into his own.  He's chattering away and we're actually starting to understand him.  My favorite thing he does is call himself "My baby."  "My Baby hurt!", "My Baby want chocate meelk."  I need to video this because I want to remember it.

Which reminds me, I have my scrapbook and lots of ideas but I haven't started anything yet.  Part of it is because I need to download and print out pictures.    It's something else I might be able to do at Starbucks... at the very least, figuring out layouts and the like. Because I'll never finish it unless I start.

So life here has been busy.  But good.  And that's all that really matters.  Hopefully tomorrow night, I'll be back to post Book Reviews.  Me and a cup of Chai Latte Frappachino and a pumpkin cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...