09 August 2011

Book Review Number 123: Succubus Heat by Richelle Mead


As any long time readers of my blog, particularly my book reviews, knows, I have a horrible habit of picking up a book that's partway through a series rather than starting at the beginning.  Sometimes it's on purpose - it may be the only book of a series I've heard a lot about, or maybe the back of that particular book intrigued me.  And sometimes, it's purely accidental - I didn't realize that the book was part of a series, I accidentally grabbed the wrong one off the shelf.  There are a million and two reasons why I may be starting in the middle of a series.

With Richelle Mead's Georgina Kincaid series, it was purely a matter of me not paying attention.  I requested the book on the library's website and thought I was requesting the first one.  Nope. Requested the fourth.

As a general rule, it's not too much of a problem for me to read a later book in the series before the earlier ones.  As a matter of fact, there are times I find it really enjoyable, because the author will mention something that happened in previous books and it makes me want to go back and find out about it.  That was definitely the case with Succubus Heat.  Georgina Kincaid is an employee of Hell.  A succubus, to be exact.  It's her job to try to lure the good souls to Hell's side of the fence.  The job isn't the best in the world, but she sold her soul, so now she's gotta work.

The series has a wonderful cast of characters, mortal, formerly mortal and immortal.  By the fourth book, they're pretty well established with backstories (I believe) having been told in the previous books.  In this particular one, Georgina is being sent a few hours away to help out another demon with a problem he's having in his territory.  She's also supposed to find out if he's planning anything against her demon boss, Jerome.  And when Jerome disappears, Georgina and her friends are the only ones anxious to find out what's happened to him.

This book is a far cry from Mead's Vampire Academy series.  It's a more mature read than Vampire Academy.  I found the characters more engaging and more interesting to read.  Like most books I pick up, it was a fairly quick read as well.  I think I finished it in a night.  And I now have the earlier books from the library so I can read them as well.

If you're a fan of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld, I think this series will be up your alley.  Very sexy, very interesting and there's a rich world of supernatural beings.  I can't wait to read more.