27 January 2013

30 Days of Blogging Prompts - Day 1

So, as I posted earlier, I'm going to try to participate in the 30 days of blogging prompts.  The first day is a little bit of fun to let new readers have a chance to get to know me a little.  We're starting out with 

Day 1: List 10 Random Facts About Yourself

Anyone that's been reading my blog for awhile knows the randomness that comes out of me on a daily basis, so some of this may be retreads for some of you.  But maybe you'll find something you didn't know before.

  1. I'm a huge reader.  On average, I read between 100 and 150 books a year.  This year, I've started off at a slow start.  I've only read 5 so far this year.  But I've got time to catch up.
  2. I go through photo-taking phases.  Sometimes (like lately), I'll take 50 or 60 shots a day.  Then there will be months I'll go without picking up the camera. 
  3. I've long wanted to be a writer, but somewhere through the years, my muse abandoned me.  I think I'm a pretty good writer, I just haven't been able to find my story yet.
  4. When I was born, there was a small water sack at the top of my neck, like a sinus opening.  I had my first surgery when I was 3 months old.
  5. While I've lived up and down the east coast of the US (New York, Florida, Pennsylvania and now, Tennessee - ok, not technically the east coast, but still east of the Mississippi), I didn't leave the eastern time zone until I was 27 when I went to visit a friend in Montana.  I still have never traveled outside the US.
  6. Some of my proudest days are the ones when I get up the nerve to make a phone call.  It may sound odd for someone who worked as a customer service rep, but I have a major problem making phone calls/going into a business to deal with someone professionally.
  7. I've held a wide variety of jobs in my life.  I've worked at McDonalds, done customer service for Home Shopping Network and for an auto club, did reviews of equipment on cellular towers, worked as a secretary in the Dean's Office of a the Nursing School at Drexel University, worked as a background check investigator and been a stay-at-home mom.  I love learning different things.
  8. When I was a kid, there was a point when I wanted to be a teacher, a writer and an astronomer.  I had a plan in which I would teach during the day, write in the afternoons and be an astronomer at night.  Apparently, I forgot that I would need sleep.
  9. I have to have something playing when I fall asleep.  Silence just won't do it.  Sometimes it will be a TV show or movie on the television, sometimes it will be an audio book that I'm familiar with and sometimes it will be the hum of the fan.  But if there's complete silence, I'll stay awake for hours.
  10. I am very sought after in blood donation circles.  My blood type is O negative, so I'm regularly getting requests to give blood.  It took me a long time to actually feel comfortable doing so - I have very small, deep veins so I'm a tough stick.  Sometimes, they can't seem to find my veins at all.  Today, I gave blood at my family's church and because of my teeny-tiny veins, I wasn't sure they were going to be able to get blood from me after all (and after two hours of waiting, I was determined they would do it!)
So those are 10 utterly random facts about me.  Come back tomorrow when I'll answer the prompt 

Describe three legitimate fears you have and describe how they became fears