15 October 2010

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Movie #1

I'd recently read The Five People You Meet in Heaven, after reading the first chapter in an e-mail I received.  The story was intriguing, so I had to borrow the book from the library to read the whole story.  And I don't regret having done so as it was one of the most powerful books I've ever read.  I put it up there with A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.  So I had to get the movie out of the library to see how it compared.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven was a very faithful adaptation to the book.  I'll admit that I wasn't able to watch it as closely as I wanted (having 2 pre-schoolers around makes it tough to focus on anything).  But what I did watch was as touching as it had been in the book.  The actors and actresses were dead on with their roles and I was able to get into the story without any "But in the book..." thoughts going through my head.

Well, mostly.   The only complaint I have against the movie is that they put too much of Eddie's life in before the event that starts the book and should start the movie.  Finding out so much of this within the context of the five people made each incident have more impact, so the impact was lessened a bit seeing bits and pieces earlier in the story.

Still, it was a very solid movie and a great adaptation of a wonderful book.  I'm not sure if it would make my Top 10 Favorites, but I think it's definitely in my Top 25.

2 comments:

Joining in the insanity...