06 November 2010

Book Review Number 6: Wicked Appetite by Janet Evonavich


I've had this book on my shelf for about three weeks, borrowed from the library.  I started it on my trip to Indiana and finished it up last night.  (Which is good, since it was due today.)  And I'm really glad that I did.

I've been a fan of Janet Evonavich for a long time.  Her Stephanie Plum novels always leave me laughing and shaking my head.  When Diesel showed up the first time, I wanted to hear more about him because he was incredibly interesting. And with my love of anything that smacks of the supernatural, Diesel was a forgone conclusion.

So when I heard that JE was writing a book about Diesel, I knew I had to read it.  And I wasn't disappointed.  I loved the new characters, particularly Glo.  She's so sincere, which doesn't help her at all when she tries to perform magic.  It either doesn't work or screws up terribly, with funny results.

The main female character is Lizzy, an Unmentionable with the ability to find certain enchanted items.  She's having a hard time believing everything going on around her, but eventually everything is too much for her to deny.  The push-pull that she has with Diesel (who manages to get into her bed without her approval) is great to read and one has to wonder when she'll be able to give in to the attraction that she has.  Especially since if they DO get together, one of them will lose their power.  (Great way to keep things going, in my opinion.)

The story itself is a great romp as they search out three (and then a fourth) charms that will help lead them to the stone of Gluttony.  Each charm brings out a different aspect of gluttony in their holder, which made me feel alternately amused and sorry for the character.  And when Lizzy is under the influence of them... particularly when she's under the influence of multiple charms... she gets incredibly fun.

The book was a great first in a series, with a wonderful set up for the sequels.  I really didn't want the book to end because I wanted to find out what would happen while they looked for the new stone.  So now I'm keeping an eye out for when the new books does come out.  I definitely recommend it for Janet Evanovich fans, or fans of supernatural romance.

Currently Reading: Blood Lite, ed. by Kevin J Anderson, Getting It Wrong: Ten of the Greatest Misreported Stories in American Journalism by W. Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...