08 December 2010

Book Review Number 12: Hunting Fear by Kay Hooper


This, and the following two books, are all re-reads for me.  Hunting Fear is, in fact, the first book of Kay Hooper's that I ever laid my hands on (though it was in Audio Book format).  I was pretty hooked from that moment on.  The Fear trilogy, of which this is the first book, is part of the wider Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series.  They part of the paranormal romance genre, which is one that I've been getting into quite a bit lately.  This particular story deals with  one of the members of the SCU, Lucas Jordan, and his partner Jaylene, arriving in Golden, NC to help with a kidnapping case.  It's similar to a bunch of cases they've been following the previous 18 months and it seems as though they have come to Golden for the final showdown.  While there, Luke meets up with an old flame, a fortune-teller by the name of Samantha Burke.  Sam's been trying to warn the police of impending kidnappings, but only serves to bring herself into the spotlight.  Sam and Luke need to work together using their special talents - Sam is a seer and Luke can zero in on people by feeling their fear - if they're going to catch the kidnapper/murderer.  And if that isn't enough, they need to work on their own feelings to figure out just what is between them.

This was a wonderfully solid book with more than a few surprises.  One of the deaths completely surprised me, because it was someone that I, as the reader, had come to care about.  Someone that, in most books, I would have expected to be saved by the heroes at the last minute. The only negative that I had about the book was that part of it seemed a bit stuck on - through the whole book, they kept pointing out that the kidnapper had to work alone based on his profile.  Yet in the end, they found he was working with someone else.  It did add for a nice twist, but it seemed a bit tacked on, particularly when it was revealed who he was working with.  (I don't want to give away too much for those who haven't read it.)

It was a good enough book, though, to make me grab all the other books in the Bishop/SCU books and read them voraciously. And, as I said above, it's a reread, so that's another good indication that I think it's worth a read if you're into supernatural romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...