31 December 2010

Book Review Number 28: Teen Titans: Child's Play

  


Again, I grabbed a book later in the series so I wasn't up to speed on everything going on.  But like Countdown t o Final Crisis, Vol 2, they had a pretty good rundown of who was who.  None of the current Teen Titans in this series were the ones I was familiar with, and many of them were characters I wasn't familiar with at all.  But that didn't make it any less enjoyable of a read.

There are a few moments of levity, but most of the comic is dark or heartbreaking.  We watch as Wonder Girl tries to get more comfortable with her position as the leader of the Titans.  Miss Martian is obviously the spiritual successor of Starfire.  And my heart broke for Eddie, the Titan who lost his powers. A pleasant surprise for me was the return of Raven (my favorite Titan) and Beast Boy.  Since I'm more familiar with the cartoon than the comic, I'd never seen the love between the two of them.  But here... it was obvious.  And it showed clearly how different the cartoon and comic actually are.

The final bit of the story deals with Deathstroke and Ravager, his daughter.  It had me turning the pages, wanting to know what was going to happen next.  I wanted to find out more about their backstory and I really wanted to know where their story was going.

As with most of the comics, you really need to be a comics fan to get into these.  They need at least some knowledge of the world that they exist in.  But if you're a DC fan, I say go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...