21 February 2011

Blog Dare for February 21, 2010 - Pre-Mommy Childbirth Fears

a mom blog community


A lot of the traditional fears ran through my mind before I had Teddy. First was the fear that I wouldn't be able to get to the hospital before he was born. I had elaborate scenarios going through my brain where Nashville would be caught in a blizzard and we wouldn't be able to get to the hospital. Or I'd be on the way to the hospital during rush hour and there would be a huge accident preventing us from getting to the hospital. Or something would happen to Vanderbilt and I wouldn't be able to have the baby there so I'd be somewhere that I didn't know the doctors.

Then there were the fears that I'd go into premature labor. My mom had my sister two months early and there was a lot of fear that she wouldn't make it, so the thought was firmly in my own head when I had my kids. Even knowing that technology has come a long way in 30 years, there was still fear. Because there were a lot of things that couldn't be fixed.

Finally, there were the fears that I wouldn't be able to have an epidural. I knew that I wouldn't have handled the pain well, so I didn't want to have to be without pain medication. My sister put a lot of fears of that in my mind, telling me that there was a possibility that I might not be able to have it because of my weight and the back surgery I'd had in 2004. It had me nervous enough that once I saw my OB for the first time I asked for a referral to the anesthesiologist so I'd know for sure.

Of course, none of my fears came to pass. My water broke at 2 in the morning, 6 days after Teddy was due, and there was just a light snow on the road into the hospital. The anesthesiologist was able to get the epidural in with no problem. That's not to say that the labor went as planned - my epidural ran out at one point (which ended up getting me a permanent anesthesiologist in my room for the rest of the day) and I was dilated at 9.75 cm for 6 hours, so my doctor decided it would be better for me to have a C-Section. I didn't think having a C-Section would bother me, but I was a bit wistful after I the fact. But it didn't take me long to remember the important thing - Teddy was born healthy and there both of us came through the delivery safely. Rich was by my side through all of it and that was all that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...