26 March 2011

Book Review Number 54: Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur



This book is a re-read for me.  I actually listened to it first when I was working nights and now I can't read it without hearing the lovely Australian accent that the reader had.

Riley Jensen is half vampire/half werewolf.  Her wolf half is dominant so she is generally able to keep the vampire half hidden.  She and her twin, Rhoan, work for the Directorate of Other Races.  Rhoan is a Guardian - one who is judge, jury and executioner when a member of the Other Races (read: non-human) go rouge.  Although her boss is constantly trying to get her to become a Guardian as well, Riley doesn't relish the thought of killing and tries to stick firmly to her position as a liaison for the Guardians.  Regardless of what Riley wishes, she gets pulled into the thick of things when her brother goes missing and a handsome (naked) vampire shows up at her door.  Oh, and did I mention that it's the week of the moon heat, the time when werewolves get extremely horny and have to mate?  Yeah, that adds a nice bit of tension to the mix as well.

In an effort to find her friend, she does some investigation on behalf of her boss, Jack.  With the help of the vampire from her doorway, Quinn, she finds out that there's a whole mess of trouble happening out there - primarily involving cloned crossbreeds like Riley and Rhoan are naturally.  It's up to the Directorate to get to the bottom of it all.

While doing this, Riley is also regularly visiting the werewolf clubs (the equivalent of a sex club for the uninhibited werewolves) and making time to see her two regular partners.  But even that works itself into the mix.

This is one of my favorite series and is one that I love to read over and over... I just wish my library had copies of some of the books.  I suspect I'll be making a purchase or two at my local used book store soon.  The book is sexy with a great mystery.  Riley is a strong woman with just enough give that she's not too harsh.  And Quinn... Quinn is sexy as hell!  I like the fact that it addresses homosexuality (Rhoan is gay) without making a big deal of it.  It's a fact, Rhoan has multiple partners (like most werewolves who aren't moon sworn do) but there seems to be one really good man in his life, Liander.  (And I would love Liander as a brother!)

I'd recommend this for anyone that's on the paranormal train and doesn't mind sexy books.  The scenes can get fairly explicit, so keep that in mind if you decide to pick up this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...