10 August 2011

10 Day You Challenge - 3 Films


 I love movies with strong female characters.  I love the idea that you don't need to wait for your princess to rescue you, that you can rescue yourself.  Ever After turns Cinderella on it's ear.  It's romantic and positive and funny... and I love Drew Barrymore.

 The 10th Kingdom was a mini-series on NBC back in 2000.  A woman, uncertain what to do with her life and living with her father on the edge of Central Park, stumbles into the Fairy Tale kingdoms about 200 years after the events that take place in the fairy tales we know and love.  Happily Ever After didn't last as long as they'd thought (according to Wolf).  It's a journey of self-discovery for so many of the characters, and not everything does end happily.  One of the best parts, for me, is seeing Camryn Manheim as Snow White.  No pencil thin Snow Whites for me!

 This is the first.... well, maybe only Kevin Smith movie I've watched.  Like the two movies I mentioned above, this also has a very positive female lead.  The movie is a fantastic story of what love is and what it isn't, and how you can't change things (in this case, sexuality) for someone else.  If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it.