28 November 2011

Five Things - Weekly Writing Prompt

In the hopes of getting back to this blog with some regularity, I'm doing the Weekly Writing Prompt from Mama Kat's Pretty Much World Famous Writing Prompts at Mama's Losin' It!  Each week, she gives those who wish to participate five prompts from which to write.  She e-mails the prompts on Mondays to those who want them so we can get a head start.  I've decided that I need a head start this week.

The prompts she offered up this week are:
1.) What did you go through in order to get out? “The best way out is always through” (Inspired by Shatterboxx and some dude named Robert Frost)
2.) Five Things. List 5 things we don't know about you, 5 things you're knowledgeable about, 5 things you know nothing about, and 5 things you believe. (inspired by LouLou’s Views)
3.) The first of December is upon us! Describe an Advent Calendar or a special way you count down days until Christmas (past or present). (Inspired by Classy Chaos)
4. Kids say the darndest things...describe a time a child's honesty made you think. (Inspired by Ashley’s Closet)
5.) Tell us the story of how your pet came to be a member of your family. (Inspired byBusy Day Blog)

Several of them have been grabbing my interest, but for this one, I've decided to go with the Five Things lists.  I may come back later in the week and do the other posts.  It'll depend on time.

So... let's get started here.  Five things that you don't know about me.  This is a bit tough, since I'm pretty open about everything.  But I'll give it a try anyway.


  1. I've loved writing since I was a kid.  I used to have reams of poems and stories everywhere.  Most of them weren't very good.  But I did like getting my thoughts out on paper.
  2. There's a real dichotomy about me when there's a crisis. If no one else needs me, I'll break down pretty hard.  But the minute someone else needs me, I'm able to put my own turmoil aside to be there for them.
  3. I still have the teddy bear that my parents got for me before I was born.  He's a bit worse for wear, but his amber eyes still glow brightly when I look at him.
  4. I'm incredibly impulsive.  I went to the first college that I visited (and it was the only one I applied to). I bought the first wedding dress I tried on.  I often buy the first electronics I come across.  I can't help it.  
  5. I wanted to sing at my own reception, but I couldn't make it happen.  I did, however, get to do something special for my dad and my sister.  He hadn't been able to make it up to NY for her wedding two years before mine, so he missed the father-daughter dance with her.  After my own father-daughter dance, I invited them up to dance together.  This was when I'd planned to sing.  It was probably more beautiful without my song.
Now 5 things about which I'm knowledgeable. Hrm.... Where to start?

  1. Doctor Who.  I'm not the most knowledgeable.  My husband leaves me in the dust.  But I do know quite a bit about both the original run and the reboot.  And if I don't know the answer, I usual know how to find out. (By asking Rich, usually.)
  2. My husband.  Ok, this may seem like a "well, DUH."  We've been together for almost 10 years, after all, and were friends for a year before that.  But I do know him really well, and he knows me.  We'll often throw the same quote out at the same time, can speak with a look, and know just the right (and wrong) times to call one another.  
  3. My kids. Another, "well, DUH".  But even without them having to tell me, I know when they need me to be silly or when I need to be comforting. I know (as long as I'm not anger-locked) how to get through to them when they're upset about something.  And I know where they like their kisses.
  4. Writing.  I'm not editor quality, but I'm knowledgeable enough to make sentences that sound the way they should.  To me, it's important not to sound like a teen on the internet.
  5. My heart.  It's taken me a long time to become knowledgeable about my heart and what it wants.  It's taken a lot of mistakes and a lot of pain to get me here.  But I've finally found the knowledge of what will make me happy and what will just leave me with heartache in the end
Narrowing it down to five things in which I know nothing may be a bit tough.  But here goes.

  1. Mountain climbing.  I wouldn't even know where to start.  And honestly, it's not something I want to know anything about either.
  2. What it's like to be a star.  I've read autobiographies of stars and the like, but that's not quite the same as KNOWING.
  3. How I'll react to the unthinkable.  After all, it's unthinkable, so I haven't thought about how I'll react.
  4. Keeping on top of things.  This is one thing that I DO wish I knew how to do.  I want to have a clean house, a successful blog, and a good life.  But I haven't found that secret yet.  Everything I've tried hasn't worked for me.  So I keep searching.
  5. Dancing.  Seriously.  If you saw me try to dance, you'd be convinced that I have two left feet.
And finally, five things that I believe.  This is, by far, the easiest one for me to write.

  1. I believe that everything happens for a reason.  Every pain that we endure, every mistake we make, is what makes us the people we are today.  Yes, there are a LOT of things that embarrass me  about my past.  But they are the things that shaped who I am.  And the mistakes I will make will in turn shape the person I'll become.
  2. I believe that it is important to laugh a little every day.  Laughter is a balm to the soul and it's what helps keep you young.  It doesn't have to be a full belly laugh, but it does have to be enough for a chuckle.
  3. I believe that who you are is more important than what you have.  And by "who you are", I don't mean the labels that people give you.  It's not about being someone's wife or someone's mother, being a multi-millionaire or a kid from the wrong side of the tracks.  It's about who you are inside - what you believe, how you treat people, what your hopes and dreams are and what you are - and just as importantly, are not - willing to do to make them come true.
  4. I believe that we don't know everything, whether it be scientifically or spiritually.  We can't know what higher power is waiting for us until the day comes that we pass away.  We have our beliefs, certainly.  But we won't know for sure until that day.  Everything in life is a hypothesis... because some day, everything could have an exception.
  5. I believe that there is nothing as healing as the hug of a child or a mother's kiss on a boo-boo.  There's something magic in those things that, even if the pain is still there, manages to set it back enough that you can deal with life around you again.
So those are my five things for this week's writing prompt.  Glad you stopped by!