25 January 2012

Trying for the Positive

Today has been one of those days where I've dealt with both frustration and feelings of pride.  Though I'm glad to say, the feelings of pride are winning.

I had an unexpected day to myself, since my friend Becca has two sick kids.  I've been helping her (or trying to) get packed for their move to their new house next week.  Her eldest was sick last night, so she asked me to watch the baby.  Since he's one of the happiest babies I've ever had the privilege of keeping an eye on, I had no problem with it.  But this morning, she sent me a text to let me know that her middle child was sick as well.  Since she wasn't going to be able to get much done with packing, she said she'd keep the baby.  I know that I should have planned on housework, but honestly, I planned on napping.  Sleep, for whatever reason, hasn't been as restful as it should have been.

Instead, I ended up having to drive to Teddy's school because I forgot to put his eye patch on this morning.  (He's back to wearing one all day for a month because his eye has weakened again.)  It gave me a chance to chat with his teacher for a bit to find out how things have been with him at school.  I also got to see pictures of her new baby and she's sooooo adorable!

Since I was already out, I decided to head to Target to pick up more of the magazine holders they had in their dollar bins.  (They make a great temporary storage for my comics.)  I absolutely love those dollar bins at Target.  I regularly find inexpensive craft supplies, little goodies for the boys, organizational items and other things.  Today, along with the paper magazine holders, I picked up a couple metal ones they had for $2.50 each and plastic storage baskets that I'll be using for some organization.  They'll be going on the stairs, one for each of us, and will hold things that need to go upstairs for each of us.

I also picked up a few shirts for the boys - three for Teddy and one for Pete.  I actually prefer Target's clearance clothing to Wal-Marts, because they usually have cooler stuff for less.  I didn't find as much for Pete, just one long-sleeved one that was kind of cute.  Teddy, on the other hand, got two Pokemon shirts and an Adventure Time shirt.  This one is my favorite:


He looks great in it too (as soon as we got home, he decided that he wanted to wear it).

I planned on napping a bit when I got home, but I got caught up in the book that I'd been listening to (A Bite to Remember by Lynsay Sands) and the one I'd been reading (The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston), as well as wandering around Pintrest (yes, I'm becoming addicted).  Just as I was about ready to leave to pick up Pete from PDO, my phone rang and it was Teddy's school. He pooped his pants again.

So I called Pete's PDO to beg them to have Pete awake and ready for me (and luckily, they were understanding and did so), and then rushed to pick up Teddy.  I did get some good news regarding Pete - not only did he have a great day in general, behaving like he was supposed to, but he also went both poopie and pee-pee on the potty.  It's a step in the right direction.

When I got to Teddy's school, I found out that it wasn't really his fault, pooping his pants this time.  He had diarrhea again.  But, I was proud of him with one thing - he actually told his teacher rather than trying to hide it.  It's a problem that he's had lately, trying to hide when he poops his pants because he's afraid he'll get in trouble.  So rather than focus on the pooping, I made sure to focus on what he did right.  I did tell him that we need to work on getting him to the bathroom on time - I'm still not sure why he has been having trouble with it (since it's usually NOT diarrhea).  Hopefully, we'll be able to get him through this.

So I'm feeling relatively positive about today.  I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a good day as well. I'll have both boys at home (with the whole sick-at-school thing for Teddy) but it will give Teddy and I a chance to work on some of his homework and I'll get a chance to get a few other things done as well.

Positive days. I like them.