07 September 2012

A Thought for the Day


A thought for the day: 10 years ago, I would travel to spend the weekend with Rich, traveling an hour by train.  I would pack either a small suitcase or a backpack with everything I needed for me two days away. All I really needed to remember was a few days worth of clothes, my toiletries and maybe a book to read. I didn't need to do anything special at home before I left other than remember my bag.

 Compare that with today, where a weekend trip up to my dad's (which is a little more than an hour by car) involves 2 backpacks, 1 large suitcase, a cooler, a bag of games, a bag of food, an air mattress, Mommy Plo, Daddy Plo, Baby Plo, Pansage, Bodie, Piplup, Bonslai and a list of things to pick up at the store.  In the bags, I needed to remember chargers for everyone's electronics, not to mention everyone's electronics, the meds, clothes for 4 people for 2 days, toys and games to keep the boys occupied, toiletries for all of us, the camera to get any extra special shots, along with books to keep Rich and I occupied.  I started packing last night and I just finished, right before I've got to leave to pick up Pete from PDO, then Teddy from school, then Rich for work, all before stopping at the store and then heading to my dad's.  Before I leave, I need to make sure that the last load of dishes are done, that the clothes in the dryer are actually dry, that Lemon has full food and water bowls and fresh litter, that I've gathered all library books before heading out, and that I've taken out the trash so we don't come home to a stinky garbage.

Yeah, 10 years ago, it was a lot easier to leave the house for a weekend.  But I didn't have nearly the benefits that this chaos brings on a daily basis.  And I wouldn't trade it for the world.