27 September 2012

Conversations with Peter, a Fun Day Out

Today, Pete has done more to make me laugh than he has in a long time.  Not that he's usually serious - far from it!  I mean, take a look at this boy

Yes, those are underpants on his head.  Clean ones, but still...

It started when I told him I needed him to get dressed (my naked child hasn't worn a stitch since going to bed last night) so we could go to Wal-Mart and then McDonald's for lunch.  He brought me his clothes, asked me to help him get dressed, put on his shoes then turned to me and said, "I'm ready to go, SIR!" with a smart salute.  I just chuckled.  I got up, still smiling and said, "Alright, Goofer, let's go."  And his reply?

"Aye-aye, Sir!"

From that point forward, it was "Aye-aye, Sir", "Aye-aye, Mommy," and "Aye-aye, Cow" until we got to Wal-Mart. (Don't ask about the cow.  I still don't understand it.  But whenever he's trying to be silly, the cows come out.)

Once in Wal-Mart, Pete decided that he wanted to walk next to me.  The usual rules of being allowed to walk so long as he stayed near me were reiterated and we started to wander.  We walked through the Halloween costumes, getting ideas for what he wanted to dress up as this year.  We perused the office supplies (to feed my addiction), then went back briefly to look through the posters because it's one of Pete's favorite things to do in the store.  I was happily surprised that he didn't fuss when I told him we wouldn't look at toys today.  He just walked next to me, asking questions about a few things we saw.

At one point, he wanted to ride in the basket of the cart.  Not a problem.  All I had in there were Presto PowerCup Concentrators for my popcorn maker, and I wasn't expecting to buy a lot more.  As I lifted him into the cart, he told me, "Mommy, I'm gonna be the groceries!"  And then he sat perfectly still, all limbs straight out like he was a doll I was buying.  More chuckles.

He got tired of sitting there after awhile and wanted to sit in the seat near me.  And this is where I actually laughed out loud and loved the mind that my little one has.  He put his hands over mine and said, "Mommy, stop pushing and lets stop and think about this.  Let's think about... popcorn."  He moved my hands off the bar of the cart, put one finger to his chin and looked thoughtful.  After a few moments, he said, "I think I like popcorn."  Then he put my hands back on the cart.  When I leaned in for a kiss, he told me, "No, Mommy.  It's time to push the cart.  Not time to give kisses."  And this happened two more times before he tired of it.

My favorite line of today, though, wasn't a funny one.  It was one that made my heart swell because he's growing up and changing and I love him so much.  I asked him if he was my sweet baby.

"No, Mommy.  I'm not your sweet baby."  And then, after a brief pause, "But I am your sweet boy."

Yes, Peter.  You truly are.