26 September 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge!


Today, I'm back for my second shot at Wednesday Hodgepodge, hosted by From This Side of the Pond.  I know things have been a little light with my posting this past week, but I am trying to get back on track with all of it.  So you'll probably see a lot of posts today.  Feel free to ignore them if they get to much.  But I do hope that, someday, you'll decide to come back and see what else I have to say.

On with the questions!


1. The Wednesday Hodgepodge falls on John Chapman's birth date. He's more famously known as Johnny Appleseed...what's your favorite variety of apple?

I don't know if I really have a favorite, per se.  I'm actually not a big raw-apple eater.  And I don't know why, because I do love the flavor of them.  I just... never seem to find it on the top of my list of "things to eat".  Still, that's not the question.  To actually answer the question, I'd probably have to say either Jazz or Galas.  They tickle my tastebuds.

2. When did you last say 'ick'?

If I had to hazard a guess, it would have been the other day when Pete tried to pick up a french fry from the ground at the outdoor McDonald's PlayPlace and eat it.  Technically, I think I said "icky" instead of "ick", but it was the same idea.  And yes, I pulled it away from him before he could actually stick it in his mouth and listened to 10 minutes of screaming and crying because Pete wanted THAT fry - didn't matter that he had the rest of them in front of him.  That one was the one that he wanted.  I don't understand kids - no matter what age they are!

3. Do you think there's a generation gap? Explain.

Yes and no.  I think, like many other things, it's a matter of perspective.  When you're a kid - or even the parent of a kid, it's a gap that seems as wide as a canyon.  Clothing, music, issues... they are all radically different from when the adult was going through that time of their life.  It's harder to relate.  But when a child gets older, becomes a parent and is dealing with their own parents, I think the gap becomes much, much smaller.  The important issues are more timeless - raising a child, money, changes in body, mind and soul.  Experience.  The things that two adults can find common ground in that an adult and a child would never be able to.

4. What's on your computer screen saver? Do you change it often or leave it alone?

I actually don't have a screen saver.  It's just in energy saver mode so it turns off after a few minutes of inactivity.

5. If you had the attention of the entire world for two minutes what would you say?

"Pay attention to the world around you.  The land, the people, the issues.  Pay attention to all of it.  Put yourself in someone else's shoes before deciding that you know better than them.  Be understanding.  Be compassionate.  Laugh.  If we want a better world for our children, we need to start by being better ourselves."

6. Four fashion trends to try this fall are brocade/jacquard (fancy fabrics), peplum, lace, and printed pants...which of these four would you be most likely to wear?

Tough one, since none of them are things I particularly enjoy.  If I had to chose one, it would probably be brocade/jacquard. Printed pants would make my thighs look bigger than they already are. Peplum would make my hips look huge.  Lace... too scratchy. So that leaves me with brocade.

7. What can make your bad day better?

It depends on what made the day bad, but usually it's one of the boys coming to climb in my lap, telling me they love me and just feeling their arms around me.  If not that, then my husband just holding me, telling me that no matter how bad the day is, we're getting through it together.

And if I can't have any of those (boys in school, Rich at work), then Doctor Who.  He makes everything better.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I would love to be able to get a good nights sleep one of these nights.  For a week, I've been coughing and hacking every time I lay down.  If it's not gone by next Monday, there will be a dreaded trip to the doctor in my future.  Please, lungs?  Please?  You need to start healing so I don't have to go!