16 October 2012

Monday Quiz About Me

Yesterday was filled with busy, so I didn't get my blogging done the way I'd wanted to.  But that doesn't mean I can't take the time to blog today.  Starting with

Acting Balanced


1. What is the most interesting fact you have learned recently? I think it would have to be the way that my former middle-and-high-school English and Spanish teacher met his wife.  As much as I thought I knew the man, and his family, from his kindness to me and my friendship with his oldest daughter, I also found how much I didn't know and how much more I would have liked to get to know him.
2. The alarm goes off on Monday morning. What is your first thought? "Why can't the kids get themselves ready for school so I can sleep long?"  Or something to that effect.
3. What is the most memorable movie line of all time? This is a tough one.  I love movie quotes and there are so many great ones from so many wonderful movies.  But if I had to choose one, it would be from the NBC mini-series, The 10th Kingdom. In this scene, Wolf has surprised Virginia with an elaborate dinner in the hopes of wooing her to stay in the Nine Kingdoms rather than trying to buy back the mirror that would take her home.  He wants to marry her and hopes that this will help her decide to stay with him.  While the two of them are alone in the restaurant, Virginia makes this admission:

I have a hard time trusting people. I just never wanna jump unless I'm sure somebody's gonna catch me.

It's Wolf's reply, however, that I love more and which , in my mind, is a statement of what love really is.

Oh, I'll catch you. And if I miss for any reason, I'll sit by your bedside and nurse you back to health.

I absolutely love it.
4. Describe a situation that always seems to try your patience. When Pete is in a silly mood and I'm trying to get things done, my patience is at it's absolute end.  Because I know that he's not trying to be bad, but he also isn't doing the things that I know he should and can be doing.  Like when we've got to get ready to pick up his brother from the bus stop and he's running around the house naked.  It should not take 20 minutes to get a 4 year old boy to put on pants!

And my magic question 5...

5. What is the best book you've read in the last year?  This is often a difficult question for me to answer because I read so many books in the course of a year (don't pay attention to the numbers on the sidebar... I've been bad about updating GoodReads this year).  And there have been a lot of great ones, from The Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne to Everything On It by Shel Silverstein.  But my absolute favorite would have to be True Strength: My Journey from Hercules to Mere Mortal--and How Nearly Dying Saved My Life by Kevin Sorbo.  It wasn't a tell all book, nor a feel good book.  It wasn't a poor-pity-me biography.  It was an honest look into the most difficult portion of his life, how he his aneurysm and stroke, through the devastation that resulted from it, and back out on the other side.  He admits how difficult he was at the time and painted such a human portrait of himself that I was truly touched.