23 December 2012

Ack! The Holidays are here! Am I ready?

I don't know why I let this happen to me every year, but I do.  It seems like I have forever to get things together for Christmas.  It's still weeks away and I've gotten a little shopping done (mostly on Black Friday). The house needs work and the tree needs to be put up, but I've got time, right?  The next thing I know, it's Christmas Eve, the house is a mess, no gifts are wrapped and the tree has only been up for about 2 days.  Then I'm running around like a mad woman.

Well, it's Christmas Adam and, even though I'm a lot further along than usual, I'm still feeling the Christmas Day pressure.  I mean, I've got the living room, dining room and downstairs bathroom cleaned.  The kitchen and pantry are going to be taken care of by Rich.  The tree's been up for a couple of weeks and, unlike in years past, most of the ornaments have stayed on it.  All the Christmas shopping is finished (though Rich had to take over some of those duties this year because of my inability to drive) and all the Christmas Gifts for the family have arrived in their proper locations.  We've got everything we need to make Christmas dinner here this year (since my Dad is coming out to join us rather than us going out to his place) and all I need to do is make the pumpkin cake for dessert.  I've still got the presents to wrap, but not as many as in years past.  I should be ready for it, shouldn't I?

Mostly, I am.  Just writing out what is ready helped.  The fact that I've only got a couple things that will probably be part of tomorrow's agenda and we've got the day to do it is a bit relaxing.  Still, I'm feeling guilty for being on the computer, writing a blog post and taking some down time instead of hobbling upstairs to get started on that wrapping.    I think I'm just neurotic.  Probably.

Really, though, I think this is going to be an awesome Christmas.  Neither of the kids have managed to spoil their gifts to each other or their gifts to Mommy or Daddy.  I think this is a first in 7 years.  And while I couldn't get the kids everything they wanted (Teddy really wants a 3DS, but his regular old DS lite will do fine for him), I think they'll be excited by the things they ARE getting.  Some from Nonni and Pop, some from Mommy and Daddy... but all things they'll enjoy.  I can't wait to see their faces as they open some of these things up Christmas morning.  Though, they are going to need to wait longer than usual - we're waiting until Poppy gets to the apartment before opening anything more than stockings.


Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays, if that's your flavor), everyone.  Thanks for sticking around.