29 January 2013

30 Days of Blogging Prompts - Day 3

Today's prompt for 30 Days of Blogging Prompts is

Describe Your Relationship With Your Parents

And since I just talked about me being a parent, it's a good time to go the other way with things and talk about my folks.

First, let me talk about my dad.  I've always been a Daddy's girl.  From the time I was little through today, I've adored him. He's the one that taught me my love for reading, for science fiction and fantasy.  He's the one that listened when times were rough and supported me even when he didn't agree with me.  He taught me how to change a tire and check the fluids in my car, how to drive a stick and that I was worth something even when I thought I wasn't.  He helped me keep secrets from my step-mom when I knew she'd blow her top about something, and hugged me when a boy would break my heart.  He was there on my wedding day and danced with me to "Daddy's Little Girl" by Kippi Brannon.  (Because the lyrics describe my relationship with him perfectly.)

He's still the first one I call when I'm going through a rough patch, and he'll call me when he knows things are rough.  I'm lucky that he lives an hour away, and that he'll still do whatever he can to make his daughter's life a little better.  I'm Daddy's Girl, and wouldn't have it any other way.

My relationship with my mom is a bit different, though no less loving.  Growing up, my mom and I used to butt heads constantly.  We're both way too much a like.  And while I always knew that she loved me, there were times when she didn't like me too much - and now that I'm getting older, I can't really blame her.

It took a long time to have a good relationship with my mom.  I moved from living with her and my sister in NY to living with my dad in Florida when I was 15.  I didn't feel like she was the one I could talk to about things.

But as I got older, and as I became a mom, things changed.  I may not call as often as I should, but I know I CAN call any time, and that she'll be there for me.  She loves me, and her grandkids, and supports me through anything - good or bad.   She taught me a lot - even if it took 20 years for me to learn some of the lessons.  My relationship with her isn't the closest in the world, but that's more because of distance and me being horrible at keeping in touch than anything else.  But the important things are there - she loves me, and she never lets me doubt it for a minute.