20 December 2010

Book Review Number 22: Kisses from Hell (multiple authors)


Kisses from Hell contain 5 stories by 5 different authors in the supernatural romance community.  The first story, "Sunshine" is by Richelle Mead and revolves around the meeting of two young living vampires.  One, Eric, is the only hope for his royal line.  The other, Rhea, is only have living vampire, one of her parents being human.  They meet on a post-graduation outing and even though both are involved with someone else, something pulls them together anyway.  I really liked this story and, now that I know it's part of a series, am looking forward to reading more of them.

Next comes "Bring Me to Life" by Alyson Noel.  It opens with a 17 year old girl arriving in England for what she thinks is an Art School.  Instead, she is the only one brought to this very strange house that seems to be changing before her eyes, growing more vibrant the longer she is there.  Soon, she's joined by another supposed student and only then does the truth come out.  It was a pretty good story with an ending I wasn't quite suspecting.  It was a little trite, but not a bad story all in all.

This third story, "Above" by Kristin Cast... I honestly can't tell you what it's about.  I couldn't get into it at all.  It's written in a poetry/prose short of way that was very difficult for me to get a handle on.  After about two pages in, I finally gave up and went on to the next story, which was one of the main reasons I'd checked this book out of the library.

Kelley Armstrong's "Hunting Kat" brought back memories of Stolen, though it's set (from what I've read) in her Darkest Powers world rather than her Women of the Otherworld world.  A young woman, full vampire, is kidnapped while with her guardian on their way to a meeting intended to give Kat a chance to hunt.  She's thrown in with two other guys that also claim to be vampires that had been part of the same experiment that changed Kat's vampiric legacy.  Kat needs to not only get out but find out if she has a traitor in her midst.  As always, I loved Kelley Armstrong's writing.  The story kept me turning pages, curious what was going to happen next.  If you like her writing, you'll love this story.

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about "Lilith" by Francesca Lia Block.  It's the story of an outsider falling in love with the new, very goth-like girl, named Lilith.  Much like Lilith from the Bible, she is a complete temptress and draws him over to the "dark side" with her.  It was a decent story, but I didn't get into it as much as "Sunshine" or "Hunting Kat".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...