07 August 2011

10 Day You Challenge - 6 Places



Downsville Covered Bridge
Downsville Covered Bridge, Downsville, NY
1.
Downsville, NY.  This is the town I lived in until I was 15.  It's a small town, with the good and the bad that it brings.  While I don't know if I could ever live there again, I do love to come home for visits.

From Google Image Search
2. I moved to North Port, FL after I left Downsville at 15.  It was a bit bigger town than I grew up in, but it wasn't huge.  We didn't even have our own middle school or high school while I was there.  It's grown a lot since my days there, though.


From Google Image Search
3. I went to college in Lakeland, FL.  Florida Southern College, to be exact.  Lakeland was the perfect place for me - a little bigger than North Port, but not huge.  I spent most of my time on campus (and a beautiful campus it is), but there were a lot of fun places in town as well.  I still remember fondly the late nights at Steak-n-Shake or Denny's.

From Google Image Search

4. I moved to NY for a guy.  But I loved the city for what it was.  There was so much to do and so much to see.  I found gaming shops and comic shops on little side streets, places to eat that seemed like hidden gems.  And home was just a train ride away.  It could be a rough town, but it could also be a caring town.  I was in NY on 9/11 and, while it was one of the scariest times in my life, it was also one of the most uplifting.  I saw people trying to help one another, whether it was letting them use a cellphone or giving them some of their water.  I was proud to be a New Yorker then.

From Google Image Search


5. Philly is the town that my husband grew up in.  Or, close enough anyway.  It doesn't have the same hectic feel as New York, yet it still has that feeling having having been there forever.  I loved going to different museums (and if you're ever in Philly, check out the Franklin Institute, finding a variety of eating and drinking establishments and having so many forms of public transportation near by.  It was a great place to live before and after we got married.

Teddy standing on the giant map of TN, right around where our apartment would have been.
6. We've been in Nashville for 6 years now.  And it's a place I wouldn't mind calling home.  We have southern politeness, a feeling of community, places to explore and a great greenway system perfect for walking around.  There's still so much more to explore.  I hope to be here for a long time yet.