14 January 2013

Daily Challenge - Day 5

Today, I stopped putting off something that I had been meaning to do for awhile because my challenge today was

Pick a project you've been wanting to do and work on it for 15 minutes.

The project, as I mentioned yesterday, was to make a silverware caddy for our forks, spoons and knives.  I adapted a pin I had over on Pintrest to create a little caddy from three tin cans.  It didn't come out exactly the way that I wanted it, more because I haven't had the time or money to go to Goodwill to look for the one piece I'm missing yet.  But for a temporary measure, I think it came out pretty good.

For this project, I used:

3 cleaned out tin cans (I believe these were all vegetable cans)
3 pieces of scrapbook paper, cut to fit around the cans (I used  Colorbok 8.5 x 11" Bright Patterned Paper)
Hot glue gun
Journal Tab Stickers
Lowercase Letter Stickers
Fabric ribbon for embellishment

I didn't really take many pictures as I was in the process of doing the craft itself, partly because it went a lot quicker than I'd expected and partly because it had been a long time since I used a hot glue gun so it took me a couple tries to remember what I was doing.  Yeah, I"m not the crafter I wish I could be.

I started by measuring the paper around the cans and then cutting them down to fit.  I left some overlap on the width of the can so the edges would overlap.  Then, after one false start, I used the hot glue to put the paper on the outside of the cans.  My own personal way of doing things was to finish all the cutting and gluing of one can before moving on to the next.  It probably took me 10 minutes to finish getting the initial paper on all three cans.

With the last can, I noticed that I hadn't gotten the paper centered quite right and there was a bit of a gap at the top.  Being the crafty person I (sometimes) try to be, I pulled some of my ribbon out, measured and cut it and made a nice (if not completely even) band around the top of the can.

From there, I picked out three journal stickers and added one to each can, following it with letter stickers to spell out what each can would be for. (fork, spoon, knife).

This is where my project today deviated from my ultimate plan.  Ideally, I'd like to get a lazy susan or some other type of tray that has a handle in the middle and glue the cans around the base.  It would give me an easy way to lift the set and bring them to the table.  But, as I mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for yet, so I had to go with option two - twine.

I decided to twine the three cans together, seams to the inside and words pointing out.  I double wrapped a length of twine at the top and tied it off, and another length at the bottom.  For the time being, I'm hoping this will hold them together.  And while I haven't had a chance to put my silverware into them yet, I think it will be a nice, cheery place to keep them in, thereby giving me a drawer for other, larger pieces of silverware that are currently scattered around my kitchen.

So I'd say that today's challenge was a success.  And I even managed to get most of the rest of my chores finished as well.

Come back tomorrow to see how I handle the newest challenge:

Spend 15 Minutes Writing About What's Good About You