27 January 2013

Sunday's Stream of Consciousness - or something

It always happens this way.  I have all these grand plans for the weekend.  Rich, the boys and I are going to get a lot done around the house.  I'm going to have fun with my family.  We're just going to do and be and just have fun.

And then the weekend arrives and very little of what I plan actually happens.  Take today for example.

Today, I'd planned on bringing Rich and the boys to church, donating blood, spending the time between the quick donation and the end of church working on writing out my weekly schedule and the menus for the next week, maybe getting my chore list written out, maybe even reading a bit.  Then we'd head home, eat lunch and head upstairs to work on mucking out the boys' disaster of a room.  We'd enjoy dinner together, get the boys put in bed at 8 and then Rich and I would play Burning Wheel for a few hours before heading to bed and another day filled with lots of stuff to do.

Instead, this is what happened:

I went to bed after 11pm, thinking I'd still be able to get a decent night's sleep.  Instead, I lay awake until around 2, unable to fall asleep no matter how hard I tried.  I woke up around 7, hearing the boys downstairs and, not long after, Teddy coming in to ask if he could get on the computer.  Me being grumpy, I got into an argument about I don't remember what with Rich and was a grump for most of the morning.  I spent too much time playing Marvel Avengers Alliance and not enough getting ready to go.  With a cup of coffee, a glass of water and a couple pieces of buttered bread in my system, I rushed out of the house thinking we'd be late getting the boys to their religious education classes.

Getting Teddy into class was a lot less painful than expected.  We hadn't been in about 8 months, but they remembered us (and Teddy) so he was able to join the class and have a good time.  Rich, Pete and I had to find something to do for about an hour and a half until Mass started and I had my blood donation appointment.  So we let Pete play on the playground while Rich and I worked out the menu for the week and talked about my character for the game we may or may not be playing later that night.  I also managed to get some decent shots of Pete, and even a few of Rich.  I was feeling pretty good when 10:30 came around and it was time for my family to go into church and me into the Bloodmobile.

Pete, having fun on the Church playground.

This is where things started to screw up.  First, it didn't seem to matter that I'd made an appointment.  A very rude guy told me that I needed to leave to sign in - not that I would have known this since it didn't say it anywhere.  Then when I came back, he told me again that I needed to get out and read the paperwork I'd been given.  Didn't matter that it was the same paperwork I'd read every time, or that I'd skimmed it on my way from the church.  I still had to stand outside.  A couple other ladies walked up and I found out that they had been there at 10 and was told that there were other people that needed to be in the 10:30 service so they got to go first.  I let these nice ladies go ahead of me, since they'd been waiting longer.

It was about 45 minutes before I actually got back inside the Bloodmobile.  Then it was another 10 minutes or so before anyone even came into the triage room to take my info down.  Though I can't complain about the guy that was taking down my info.  He's a comic book geek much like I am, and he's a huge fan of Green Arrow as well.  He even had the most awesome tattoo of Green Arrow on his forearm.  I wish I'd thought to ask if I could take a picture of it.

When they finally got me up on one of the couches to take blood, people were leaving the church.  I'd had the forethought to message Rich and let him know how long everything was taking when I first went in, so I was hoping he'd take the boys to play on the playground for awhile.  What I didn't expect, though I should have, was how difficult it would be for them to actually find my vein.  I have very small, deep, slippery veins.  They don't like to be found and prodded.  It took them probably 20 minutes or so to find my veins and get me started.  Once the finally found a good one AND managed to get me stuck, there was no problem.  I bleed well once it's started.  2 hours after my appointment, I was finally walking out with a bottle of water and a bag of cookies to up my sugar levels a bit.  And, of course, had to listen to a 4 year old begging to eat my cookies instead.

I was a bit light headed, so after eating a roast beef sandwich and drinking some juice, I headed upstairs to lay down for awhile.  I just couldn't get my brain working right, though.  I couldn't seem to figure out what I was trying to write down.  I had so many things I wanted to get worked out, but nothing was coming to mind.  So I wrote down a bunch of different lists - Daily Challenges, shopping lists, chore lists, my schedule for the week, what I needed to do online.... just lots of things that probably make little sense.

I'm still not sure if anything is making sense.  Though I have managed to come back downstairs (obviously), still grumpy and snarling at the family, and eat some dinner, as well as get some blogging done.  I keep thinking that I should also be writing out my Week Plan.  But it's been a long day and my brain is not working and I know I'm not gaming tonight.

Instead, I just wish I had some chocolate.  Does anyone know where the chocolate is?

Never mind.  Now I'm going to close out for the night.  Tomorrow is a new day with, hopefully, a brain more prepared to deal with the mundane.