24 January 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge


  1. The popular saying 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly. Is he right? I don't think that ALL is fair.  I think there are times when you need to think about what will happen when you choose the action you're contemplating.  Who will you hurt?  How?  It's much more important to use your brain than to win at all costs.
  2. Are you a cereal eater? What's your favorite kind? I love cereal.  I eat it regularly.  I'll admit that I was glad when my kids hit the sugar cereal age because, even though it isn't healthy, I love it.  My favorite is probably Lucky Charms.  Weird, but I love the marshmallows.
  3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the toy blows bubbles). She did not have the gun with her at school.

    A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record. The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts? (If you missed the story, click here for details)
    I hadn't heard about it but am appalled.  I think that the world has gone nuts with zero tolerance, replacing considered thought with thoughtless reaction.  The children were talking about a toy - one that shoots bubbles rather than than even pretend bullets or fake arrows or anything else.  A bubble gun may hurt by getting bubbles in the eye, but it's not even like a real gun.  And putting it on someone's permanent record - particularly when the child is only 5 - is going to hurt her for the rest of her life, particularly when she didn't have the bubble gun with her
  4. Whatever happened to_______________________? My sanity.  I'm sure it's somewhere hanging out with my thinner self and my youth.
  5. January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil. Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive? This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to? My handwriting isn't too bad.  It's not as nice as my mom's, but it's better than most of the rest of my family.  I generally do a combination of print and cursive.  It's weird but, half the time I don't even realize I do it.  As for the last thing I signed my name to.... I signed Pete into PDO this morning.  With everything going on picking him up early today, I forgot to sign him back out.
  6. Speaking of John Hancock, ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love? Not only have I been to Philadelphia, but I lived there for several years.  I loved living there. There are so many great places in Philly to visit, and many that I want to visit with the boys, like The Franklin Institute and Please Touch Museum.  I'd also love to go by the places that Rich and I lived and worked at when we lived there.
  7. Share something funny you've heard a child say. My kids regularly bust out with things that make me laugh.  Of course, at the moment I can neither remember them nor find them on Facebook where I used to post them.  The only one coming to mind is Peter, during the Christmas play at PDO.  They were singing "Happy Birthday, Jesus" and Pete was hamming it up a bit.  He's got this thing, whenever he's being silly, of talking about cows.  So at the very end, when they're supposed to all say, "Happy Birthday, Jesus!", Pete turned the boy in the cow costume next to him and said, "Happy birthday, Cow!"  I just cracked up.
  8. Insert your own random thought here. I have actually made dinner once this week and will be doing so another night. I hate cooking dinner, but I'm actually pretty happy with the dinner I made the other night.  I made a chicken pasta casserole and, while the boys didn't like the veggies in it, Rich and I both loved it.  Tomorrow, I'm making pasta, sauce, kielbasa and garlic bread.  Pasta seems to be my forte.