08 May 2011

Recent Geekery

Between today's Free Comic Book Day fun at Rick's Comic City and a bunch of the geek stuff I've found online lately, I've been in Geek Heaven.  It's making my little geek heart soar!

First, I'll share the goodies I picked up at FCBD today.  For any of my readers that got their own goodies at a local Comic Shop, please feel free to share what you got.  I'm curious to see what else people picked up and what they think of said goodies.  At Rick's, they had a bunch of long boxes filled with comics they were selling for 50 cents.  So along with my freebies and the few new titles that I wanted to pick up (Doctor Who, anyone?  And DAY-UM, I want to talk about the Doctor vs Jack the Ripper with someone!), we also found several goodies among those boxes.  So here are the list of goodies that we came home with:

Free Comics
Sonic the Hedgehog
Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse
The Intrepid EscapeGoat: The Princess and the Pyramid/The Stuff of Legend
Chip 'n' Dale, Rescue Rangers/Darkwing Duck
Pep Comics: Featuring Betty & Veronica
Young Justice/Batman: The Brave and the Bold Super Sampler
Geronimo Stilton, plus a complete story starring the Smurfs
X-Men: Curse of the Mutants Saga
Marvel Sneak Peeks
Son of Marvel Reading Chronology
Walter Koenig's Things to Come/The Mis-Adventures of Adam West
Green Lantern: Special Edition
The Darkness II: Confession

New Purchases
Green Arrow: Brightest Day, Issue 9 (My Mother's Day gift from my boys, who wanted to get me something GA)
Doctor Who, Issue #3 & #4
Doctor Who: A Fairytale Life

50 Cent Comics
Batman: The Blue, The Grey and the Bat
Batman: The Book of Shadows
Green Arrow #1-3 (the 1988 new format)
The Green Arrow: TPB by Jack Kirby - classics from the 1950's GA
Superman #464 & #469 (The boys picked out these)
Sonic The Hedgehog #216 & #217

I've read through the Doctor Who comics and a couple of the freebies, but I still have lots of reading to do tomorrow.  I'm really looking forward to it!

I've watched "The Impossible Astronaut" and "Day of the Moon", the first two episodes of Doctor Who, season 6.  I'm jonesing for someone to talk about it with.  I'm just really leery about putting my thoughts out here yet because I don't want to spoil it for someone who may not have had a chance to watch them yet.  Tomorrow, I'll be watching "Curse of the Black Spot".  And I've got some Sarah Jane Adventures that I want to watch as well.  I'm firmly in Whomania right now.

I'm going to start a new channel on YouTube for all the Geekery that I love there.  (Ok, I've actually started the channel now - small though it is to start - and you can find it here if you want to share in the awesome geekiness that I'm finding on YouTube.)  For the last several days, we've been having the video below playing pretty constantly in our house.  And it's making me want a regular gaming group again so badly I can taste it!



We had it playing before I left to visit with Dad tonight, and I actually turned to Teddy before I left and said, "This WILL be you one day.  You WILL be up until dawn rolling dice.  You don't have any choice."  I'm only mostly joking.  It is something I'd like to see him do.  Hell, it's something I'd love to do with him, Rich, and Pete when they boys are a bit older.

It brings back a lot of good memories though, particularly back in college.  Of course, we didn't play D&D in college.  We played GURPS (which fits so much better with rolling a d6 than D&D). But still... I was played a mage (during our fantasy fames) and I had one hell of an evil GM that I loved dearly (and would love to game with again if I could).  I kinda miss those days sometimes.

Rich had never seen this next video, so I had to introduce him to it.  Which is another one that gets me chair dancing.  And reminds me that I really need to check out The Guild far more often because I'm missing so much goodness.



And then Rich showed me "Game On", which I hadn't caught before.  Bollywood geekery rocks!



Gods, I better stop this for now.  Because otherwise I will be up until dawn finding Lovely Geekery.  And if you have some geekery on YouTube that you think I'd enjoy, PLEASE send it my way.  Because Geekery needs to be shared!