13 January 2021

Getting Things Done in a Virtual Environment

My kids haven't set foot inside a classroom since March of last year.  And honestly, I'm ok with that.   I would rather they be safely learning from home than be a danger of bringing COVID home to me or worrying that their teachers will die from it (as we've had happen in several of our surrounding counties).  However, I didn't realize just how much it would upset my own day to day work.

I don't think my house has been completely clean since before March.  Having all four of us home at once means more mess is being made and I'm having less free space to clean than I need.  Tedd and Rich both help, but they don't always see the messes that I see - rather, they are more likely to think something isn't part of the mess where it's driving me nuts.  

I usually like to have an audio book playing while I clean, which is difficult when I have people working in three different rooms, needing to listen to what a teacher or a collegue is saying.  The kitchen and the bathroom, which should be safe to clean, have the problem of being close enough to the rooms people are in that I disturb them or they disturb me.  I've tried using my headphones but they lose charge before I'm done.  And wired headphones have a tendency to get caught on things while I'm trying to clean.

On top of that, I have also found that I need to sit here while Pete is in class more often than not because he has a tendency to log out even though class is still ongoing.  I found out about that when one of his teachers called.  He's getting better, but I still need to keep checking on him to make sure he isn't skipping out.  And I need to make sure he's getting his homework done - though in a way, that's easier than when he was in person.  In person had him constantly telling me that he didn't have homework.  Then I'd find out from his teachers that he had so much outstanding it wasn't funny.  Now, I can check his schoology account and see what's due.  In person would be best for him, but at the moment virtual is safest.

Tedd has been doing great with virtual learning.  He's in all his classes, doing his homework immediately, and is being really responsible.  A lot of it, I think, is because he's able to keep his anxiety at bay.  He doesn't need to keep his camera on which helps him deal with things in ways that work best for him.  Also, he's a freshman now.  I think that makes a big difference.

So I've got to try to come up with a schedule that works for me.  I've been trying for the last 10 months, but I haven't found the one that works best for me yet.  Today is my day to focus on some of my organizational things.  I'm getting this post done.  I'm going to update my BuJo a bit more and try to figure out a schedule that makes sense.  I'm going to make lists of things that I want to get done in the next year.  I'm going to start my 52 week organization/cleaning book.  At least then I'll have something to write in my Today I...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...