01 April 2013

A is for... Amber


Once again, I am participating in the April A to Z Challenge.  Over the past few years, I've lost steam before the end, but I'm hoping that this year, it will change.in years past, I've just gone where the spirit takes me, waiting for each day to write the new post.  This year, I've got a list of what I want to write about for each letter and I'm hoping to get some pre-written to post on the appropriate day.  Wish me luck!

For my first post of the month, I'm going to start with an introduction.  I'm hoping to have new readers find me and, if you do, this will be the perfect way to get to know the person behind the words on your screen.  And, since my name is Amber, it's almost like it was made for me to start here.

Where should I start?  How about with the basics.  I'm a 39 year old mother of two boys, living in Nashville and loving life.  I'm lucky enough to be able to stay home with them and, as frustrating as it can sometimes be, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  My boys are 7 and 4 and they, along with their dad, are my reason for living.  I'm a horrible cook, but a more than passable baker, so you'll often hear me talk about the meals that my husband cooks and the desserts that I make.


As you can tell by the picture above, I'm a bit of a nut. I love having time to be silly with my kids.  It helps keep the blahs away. I'm a huge geek in a family of huge geeks.  I love Doctor Who, Arrow and NCIS. I will sit down with my boys to watch Phineas and Ferb and Pokemon. I collect a few comics. I started playing table top RPGs in college and have never looked back.  I love to read - primarily paranormal and urban fantasy, but in reality, almost anything I can get my hands on.  I adore a lot of the YA books coming out in the fantasy market.  I love my Kindle Fire because it lets me bring a lot of books with me everywhere. I have a few games on my DS that I play (mostly Pokemon).  When my kids let me, I get some time on the Wii to play NCIS or (soon to start) do my Wii Fit.  One of my favorite ways to spend time with my husband is the two of us playing a game together on the computer.  I have a bookshelf filled with board and card games, and another filled with RPG books.  I have 3 or 4 more bookshelves filled with books that I can't bear to part with, and my boys have two bookshelves of the same.  Like I said, I'm a geek.

I have things that I struggle with, of course.  I suffer from depression, and you'll often see me talk about that here.  I've been trying to get a handle on keeping up with housework and organization and that, too, you'll see me talk about.  My youngest has been having some problems in his Parents Day Out program, so that will come up as I try to figure out how to help him succeed.  There are times when I feel like I can do nothing right.  And I will sometimes use my blog as a sounding board for these problems.  If you're looking for just happiness and light, this isn't the blog for you because what I post is me.

I'm also a very open person.  I answer almost anything asked.  I love to debate, though I hate to argue.  So if there's something you want to ask, something you want to talk about, something you have a differing opinion on, speak up.  Because I'll be happy to reply back to you!

I hope you continue to join me through the rest of April and beyond as I continue to post bits and pieces of my life, alphabetically.  I'll even put on a pot of hot water and lay out the variety of teas for you to choose your favorite.  And take a piece of coffee cake - it just came out of the oven.