21 June 2021

Monday Musings - Father's Day


 

Father's Day is always an interesting time around here.  Not only is it the day that we celebrate mine and Rich's dads (who made us into what we are today) as well as the awesome Father that Rich is himself, every few years it's a double holiday because Rich's birthday is around that time.


This year both weren't on the same day, but it's sometimes hard to get out of the mindset of them being together and celebrated together.  I'm used to Rich working if his birthday isn't on Father's Day, and us celebrating in one big "You are awesome and we love you!" celebration.  This time, he took time off between his birthday and this weekend so we celebrated his birthday first and, after a few days of just not doing much at all, found ourselves on Father's Day.


For his birthday, Tedd and I made him dinner, let him choose everything he wanted for the day.  Tedd had gotten him a D&D shirt, Pete had gotten him Earthworm Jim on Steam and I had picked up Ticket to Ride.  The boys and I made him a lemon cake with lemon frosting.  It was a great day and I think he felt very loved.


Yesterday, even though Tedd and I had gifts for him, we didn't quite get into the same gung ho mindset.  Tedd had been busy playing with his friends online, while I was trying not to stress over something I shouldn't have been stressing about anyway.  Pete was the only one that was interacting him with him, though he was playing his own game.  He was telling Rich all about the game he was playing. When Rich decided to take a nap at 10 am, I realized I'd screwed up.  I tried to make the rest of the day as awesome as possible - including going out for lunch at Uncle Bud's Catfish and Stuff (they make the BEST hushpuppies around!), taking him to Rick's Comic city to pick up some new reads, and playing Ticket to Ride when we got home - with the boys.  I think we managed to turn the day around, but I still feel bad that we didn't get on top of things from the beginning.  (We did, however, give him our gifts before going out to lunch.  Tedd got him a "Loading: Dad Jokes" shirt and I got him a "Science: It's Like Magic But Real" shirt.)  I have to try to do better next year.


Rich and the boys, Father's Day

Figuring out Ticket to Ride


No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...