25 June 2021

Feel Good Friday - YouTube Videos

 


When I'm in a down mood, I have a few self-care ways to fix it.  I'll pick up an old favorite to read.  I'll stream an old favorite TV Show or movie.  I'll write in my journal or my BuJo.  I'll play video games.  But sometimes I'm in the middle of something else and just need an auditory pick me up.  So I'll grab one of my playlists and start listening.



"Real Fight" by HalaCG is one of the best pick-me-up listens for me.  It's a song created as if from the point of view of Toph from The Last Airbender.  I've never really watched the show (though it's on my list), but this song is just an ultimate in girl-power and a kick in the ass of anyone who thinks someone like Toph - young, female and blind - can't keep up or even surpass those who are older, male and sighted.  It just pulls me back to knowing my own strengths.




I don't remember if it was Rich or Tedd that introduced me to The Stupendium, but I've been eternally grateful that they did.  This song ("Why Did I Say Okie Dokie?") was, if I remember correctly, one of his first big ones.  And the original of the song is awesome, but this orchestral version just hits me in the feels every time.  




This is another of The Stupendium's songs that I love to listen to. It's very different than most of his others. Most of his music videos are game-related raps. But this one is a love letter to the Mars Rover Opportunity. It is so full of hope for the future, so thankful to what the little Rover has done for us. It lifts me up because of that hope.

   

 I'm fairly late to the geek rap scene and hadn't heard of rap cyphers.  There are a lot of great ones out there including many of my favorite geek rappers.  But this one being all the ladies is just fantastic!  There are so many great lady geek rappers out there and a bunch of them are pulled together.  Plus it gives me a lot of anime that I need to check out one of these days.



Who would win in a rap battle between various people? That's what Epic Rap Battles of History asks with every video they put out.  What I love about Alexander the Great vs Ivan the Terrible is the turn deftness of the rappers, as well as the pull-ins that they do (watch the video and you'll understand).  I listen to this one so much that I can almost rap along with them.



Natewantstobattle has long been a favorite of mine.  He's such a talented musician, not only with parody songs but also with many of his original pieces.  I started listening to his Pokemon parodies, like this one.  "Kanto" (a parody of Back Home) shows off just how many things he can do - singing, playing different instruments, mixing himself singing the different parts.  And this so just feels like I'm coming back home.



I'll end this one of my favorites from the now defunct (I think) Screen Team.  This is an original that showed me that I'm not alone in my geekiness and that I should never apologize for who I am.  It's a great way to bolster me out of whatever has gotten me down.

There are (and probably will continue to be) more songs on my playlist  if you're interested to see what else helps bring me out of the doldrums.

* Actually, I was wrong.  I am instead ending this on one that I shot 9 years ago, with my adorable Pete singing the Mayonnaise song.  This is one that never fails to cheer me up no matter how low I'm feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Joining in the insanity...